[DML] Another Colorado Car For Sale

While at the Colorado Conclave British Car show this weekend several people told me about a "D" for sale not too far from the show that has been sitting for 2-3 years. Well yesterday I went out and found it. The owner, Rex King bought the car new in early 1982 and has been a customer of PJ Grady for a long time. He even said Rob and his wife once came to visit him when they were out in Colorado to do some Skiing.

Vin 5405
Oct-81 Build
Gray Interior
5 Speed
Grooves No Flap
Antenna in rear
Non-Locking Gas cap for those of you tracking such things.
1st generation pull rings for the doors.
Over 100K miles according to the owner.
Actual mileage unknown due to several (4?) angle drive breaks over the years including currently.
The odometer reading is just over 64K.
One Owner Car
Asking Price: $16K Negotiable - I would negotiate hard!

The best I can say is this car is rough, it need a serious cleaning. Rex claims everything works but we did not drive or even start the car. Although he claimed that he starts and warms up the car regularly and when the weather looks bad he said he backs it into the garage. He had a newer Corvette in the garage along with a bunch of stuff so getting it in there in a hurry must be a neat magic trick.

The car has two small creases in the stainless (neither one is deep) on the passenger side, one of them is in the door.  Rex claims these were done in storage as the car has never been wrecked, and I would agree with that assessment. The driver side "toll" window glass has a big gash (scratch in the glass about the size of a fist) that he claims was there originally and he kept procrastinating when it came to getting the dealer to fix it. We all know the history what happened when he waited too long. The fascia's have been repainted poorly with incorrect colors. The interior is musty, the dash is cracked as is the binicle, the carpet needs cleaning/replacing, the seats were covered but Rex said that the drivers side was torn while the passenger side was still in good shape. The a-pillars were coming apart and all of the weather stripping needs to be replaced as do all of the gas struts. The headlines had been re-done in a very heavy (incorrect) material that was also the wrong color. I got the impression neither window motor was working well but did work. It also was missing the wipers and the plastic cowling under the wipers was hanging on his wall in the garage with missing fins. The windshield was cracked but Rex has a new OEM one in the original box in the garage.

I also noticed the boots on the steering rack were torn and it had aftermarket horns. The frame appeared to be in fine shape but it needs a closer inspection to be sure. The tires were mis-matched, Pirrelli's on the front BF Goodrich on the back. The front tires were cracked between the treads and need to be replaced. The engine looked fine and intact but I never did hear it run. It has a powder coated coolant bottle replacement for the original plastic one. I did not have my camera but I can make arrangements to look at it again and take some pictures if anyone is interested. One other item Rex was a bit proud of the fact the car had it original coolant still in the car??

This car is certainly at the opposite spectrum from Vin 6116.

Dan Haney
Vin 3254 "The Powerful Automatic!"

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet