Re: [DML] Cat removal

If you want to get into the "nitty-gritty" of the mechanics of removal
it is pretty straightfoward. Probably the cheapest and easiest method
is to remove the cat and "gut" it. Easier than getting a pipe made up
with the necessary bends. Use a long piece of pipe and just poke the
innards until it is all broken up and comes out. Put it back with some
new clamps and nuts. Now, for the important part. What kind of
improvement can you expect? Not a whole lot. This engine package was
set up with the cat having a certain amount of backpressure. You will
gain "some" low end torque but not enough to make the effort worth the
trouble. If you are serious about improving the breathing of the motor
you need to work on the WHOLE exhaust system. The factory system is
rather restricive. It should all be replaced a la the DMC system being
offered. In fact even with the 2 cats it is probably a much better
set-up than the stock system. The results will still be limited by the
intake and the cams. Unless you go with "systemic" improvements you
gain little by upgrading of any one area. On my turbo car it has true
dual exhaust directly into individual mufflers. Without boost (under
around 2,500 RPM's) it runs like a stock, normally aspirated motor. It
has a little more oomph in 1st but the gearing is not right for the
higher low end torque and you "run out of gear" faster than you
should. Again, you will never get a whole lot by doing only 1 thing.
IMHO taking out a working catalytic converter is not worth the hassle
all by itself. Now if it is plugged up and you are weighing the cost
of a new one then it could be worth it.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757