Re: [DML] Sandblasting DeLorean frame - advice needed.

Re: [DML] Sandblasting DeLorean frame - advice needed.

Hi John!

My frame was stripped by this method (thermal paint removal). IMO this
is the best method for our frames. Most of the coating will be converted
to ashes with this treatment. In some places, there will remain some
kind of black slag, so the frame needs to be sandblasted after the oven
treatment, anyway. But this is much less labor than sandblasting a frame
with intact epoxy.

After that, the best you can do is dip galvanizing the frame. I did it
myself. Don't forget to drill holes in the hollow sections, so the zinc
can flow in and out again. (I would drill these holes before the thermal
paint removal, so the result of the thermal treatment will be better in
the hollow sections). Drill diameter at least 10mm. Two holes per hollow
section: One hole at the lowest point, one hole at the highest point of
the hollow section. Where exactly is the lowest and highest point? This
depends how the frame will be dipped into the zinc, later. So you must
decide this, and assure that the people at the galvanizing facility
follow your instructions.

I recommend dipping the frame in its normal position, but "nose low" (as
if you car would be standing downhill on a very steep hill). In no case
should it be dipped in horizontal position (like it would stand on a
flat surface). This could lead to a warped frame! Be sure that the back
of the frame is at least 1m higher than the front while dipping. The
higher, the better.

I was very satisfied with the end result :-)

hope that helps,

Ralf.
VIN10284