Re: [DML] Gas Mileage

The automatic will always get worse mileage than a 5-speed. The
5-speed has a better gear ratio for cruising at hiway speeds and no
slippage in a torque converter. The best my automatic every gets is
21MPG. I could probably do better if I went a little slower than
75-80. The 5-speed will get around 24 MPG if it is set up right.
Having the turbo won't affect the mileage all that much if it is set
up right and you don't go into boost every time you step on the gas.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Rod Dillman <rhdillman@xxxx> wrote:
> My 5 speed got around 26 MPG on my 1184 mile round trip to DCS
Memphis in 2002. Ken once had mileage experience posted for the event
on the DCS site.  I don't know whether it is still there or not. It
would not be cost effective to switch your car to a 5 speed
transmission but if your mileage is typical for automatics they must
use more fuel. Rod 10921