RE: [DML] Re: Time for a new Speedo mechanism ...

RE: [DML] Re: Time for a new Speedo mechanism ...

Nick - The speedo drive gear mounted on the outside of the differential
carrier, meshes with a driven gear mounted in the righthand side of the
transmission casing to the rear of the output shaft.  The plastic driven
gear is fixed to a short steel spindle supported in a plastic bush, which
 incorporates an oil seal to prevent oil rising up the shaft.  The gear,
spindle and bush are supplied as a complete assembly which should
not be dismantled.  An 'O' ring seals the bush into the casing.

It is on the right hand side of the Esprit, so in front of the left hand
drive axle on a Delorean.  There is a wire clip that retains the cable
and 2 bolts that secure a plate over the bush assembly on the Esprit.
The wire clip attaches to the securing plate so if it probably can't
be seen on the DeLorean - I haven't crawled under to take a look.
Later Esprits started using an electronic pickup instead of the cable
and Lotus just left the speedo drive open.

--
Mike

-------------- Original message from "Nick Kemp" <nkemp@xxxxxxxx>: --------------