Re: [DML] Second gear fork pin questions...

Re: [DML] Second gear fork pin questions...

Here is my understanding of how the 1st/2nd shift
fork/rod/sliding hub work after seeing it when I replaced
MY sheared off roll pin...

The fork slides onto the shift rod there is a "roll pin"
on either side of the fork to keep it from sliding along
the shaft when you shift. The fork has 2 arms that are
round - like a 1/2 circle that the sliding gear sits in...
the shift rod goes through a hole in the side of the fork
to push and pull the sliding gear when you move the shift
rod by shifting. If there were no pins the fork/hub would
sit still and the rod would slide forward and back through
it's mounting hole.

Now that you understand how the forks move, if you shear
off a pin then one way it will move the fork and the other
way it will slide around a bit.

I believe mine was bent when I got the car and once when
my clutch slave had leaked all fluid out I had a very hard
time shifting to 2nd and from that day on it never acted
the same - I believe it sheared off. I since replaced the
pin and all transmission seals.

The pins don't always shear off smooth and there is
usually a bit of the pin that "snags" on the fork and it
does in fact shift. Mind you there is a spring on one side
of the fork so as it slides through, the spring is
compressed and as it gets more compressed it eventually
overcomes the resistance of the transmission and it pushed
the fork and the sliding hub to the next position.

If you look at the diagram @
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewDir.asp?PageID=50&PageCat=4%2DTransmission

Michael
vin# 6067