[DML] Re: Headlight Saver (and Stop Lamps!)

[DML] Re: Headlight Saver (and Stop Lamps!)

Sure.  The procedure I wrote up in the magazine is quite simple and is very similar to the article Jan van de Wouw wrote here:

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/lightrelays.html

Essentially, it just splits power and ground to the headlight switch.  One set of power and ground operate the relay, and the other operates the light switch.  All it does is allow the lights master switch to trigger the relay, and the relay sends the juice to the perimeter lights.  Hence, your LMS won't melt down when those perimeter light contacts start getting dirty.

I don't know how John does his (I only spoke to him briefly about it on the phone one time), but note that there ARE differences in the wiring among the cars.  For instance1063's stop lamps will operate all day long with NO #18 fuse installed *and* the ignition off.  However, a fellow club member, Chris Pilcic who owns 10882, must turn on his ignition to use stop lamps and they are fused through #18 fuse.  Another DeLorean quirk!  For proof that my wiring has not been modified, refer to the "Technical Information Manual" published in March of '81.  It lists fuse #18 as "20A Spare Fuse", while referring to the more common "DeLorean Workshop Manual" will tell you that fuse #18 is "20A Stop Lamps".  Add this to your "DeLorean Mystery" list!  Keep in mind that there were several modifications done to the wiring in the DeLorean, so the diagram won't always be correct.

I can't comment on John's design, but I'm sure it will work fine as long as your ignition is on.  My theory was just that I needed a 12V source for the headlights, so I used the one that was already there!

Interesting discussion.

Jake Kamphoefner
1063

gullwingmag <gullwing-magazine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Tom Watkins wrote:
Perhaps we could get some idea of the theory behind both versions? I'm
now very curious as to why there would be two different versions if it
is supposed to do the same thing?

There is more than one way to do this fix. I believe Toby (DeLorean
Parts NorthWest) even has another method. The fix written up in
Gullwing Magazine was developed by a DeLorean Midwest member... Jake
K. Jake... maybe you can elaborate on your design?

Ron