Re: [DML] valve adj

You know I had an interesting find on two cars I did where there was
clearance with the number 4 cylinder on the wrong strokes but then clearance
on the right stroke.  I adjusted to specs and the cars ran great but had a
little "tick" noise from that side.  Most DeLoreans I've heard tick just a
bit less Louie Goldens car which is currently for sale I might add.  His
valve train was completely redone by Don Steger back in the late 90's.  Not
sure what Don did but this DeLorean is the smoothest and QUIETEST running I
have ever heard to date.  It sounds like a new Chrysler engine how smooth it
is.

I will add that a warm adjustment must be done relatively quick because as
the car rapidly cools from the heat escaping with the covers off the
clearances change.  You'll check one valve and 10 minutes later the gauge is
too tight on the same one.  I did find that cold settings were the best
partly because it's alot easier to work on.  If you do the adjustments for
the warm settings and the car has cooled enough for clearances to change you
could end up with clearances being way off and very noisy.

A "muscle car" tuner once told me that an easy way he did a vlave adjustment
was to turn it down until there was just BARELY clearance.  I tried this on
my former car once.  It didn't idle as smoothly as I woulda liked but she
was real quiet and had some power!!  I thought it was a nice trick although
I redid it to specs and the car ran great.

If you've got a loud "knock" you may have a problem.

If you have a mild "tick" you're probably fine.  I'd say 4 of the 7 cars
here in NC "tick" a little, some more than others (except Louie G's...no
sound at all.)  The ticking to me is little more than a mild annoyance but
it can be remedied by a few solutions:

Adjust Valves inspect for worn components.

Check replace Manifold Gaskets.

Use a better brand of gasoline.

Those are just a few suggestions off the top of my head.

Jeff in NC