[DML] Headlight Saver Switch Problem

I went to install the headlight saver switch today and
ran into a problem.  The instuctions say to tap into
the "always hot" green/violet stripe wire for the
brake pedal switch.  I did this but as it turns out on
my car none of the 3 wires going to the brake pedal
switch are always hot.  The 2 solid green wires
terminating at the left side of the pedal switch is
only hot when the key is in the ON position.  Is this
normal?

When I push in on the brake with the key out or in the
off position I get no brake light coming on.  I
thought that this should have power at all times and
that the brake pedal should always activate the
lights.

The result of this was the saver switch did not
funtion the running lights or the parking lights when
the headlight switch was in the 1st position or the
2nd position as it was not getting any power.  In the
2nd position I was getting headlights only.   The new
relay was tapped into the red/green wire coming out of
the headlight switch per the instructions.

Can I tap something else to grab power for the
headlight switch saver or do I have a bigger issue
with no power at all times to the brake pedal switch?

I removed the saver switch and everything is
funtioning as it was (except for no brake light with
key in off position and brake pedal pushed in)

I know some of you will say "call John"...I did and he
suggested checking the other wires going to the brake
pedal for power as some cars are different.  He was
not able to recall any of the other wiring colors off
hand  in this area.   He said he would have to go into
a car next weekend and try to reconstruct what his
instructions called out for if I wanted to get more
in-depth help  He created this a year ago and does not
recall all the wiring colors and other possible
choices to try and tap into.

So, before I call John back. I thought I would ask the
list.  I'd rather not waste John's time if someone
else has a clearer memory of the wiring in this area
and can give me some feedback that I can use.

Thanks

Tom

http://mail.yahoo.com