Re: [DML] Hot Start Issue

Joey,

The PRV has a cold-start injector that adds more fuel during
cranking...but only when the engine is cold.  When warm, there is no extra
gas AND a drop in fuel system pressure, so no hot-start.

If stranded, you can move the CPR's connector (grey) onto the cold-start
injector (blue) to get things going.  This keeps the injector dumping gas
into the intake even after the car is started, however, so disconnect it
quick!  (The CPR and the cold-start injector are both on the driver's side
of the engine.)

You still need to fix the fuel system failure, which is probably in the
accumulator.  Unfortunately, the entire car was built around this
particular part and it can be challenging to R&R without damaging the hard
fuel lines.  It could also be a missing/bad check valve in the fuel pump,
but the accumulator uses a rubber diaphragm with a limited service life
and is usually the culprit.

In the meantime, you can jump the thermotime switch so that the cold-start
valve always fires during cranking.  I found the blue/black wire in the
relay compartment (yours might be attached to  a unused relay socket) and
wired it to ground through a switch.  I used my defrost switch, since the
defrost is broken/useless anyway.  When the car won't start, I flip the
switch and VROOOOM.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas