[DML] Re: R12 and R134a

If the compressor cycles at all, you do have some charge left.

If you elect to overhaul the entire system, expect the hoses to seize
to the evaporator, accumulator and possibly the condensor badly. You
can try to free them with a propane torch but that didn't work for me
and I cut the hoses and replaced the accumulator and evaporator.

The early style accumulator did not have the high pressure safety cut-
out switch. If you do the overhaul, upgrade to the newer accumulator
and splice in wiring for the over pressure switch.

New hoses are a benefit too because you'll get new "barrier" hoses.
Not that I'm any A/C expert, but rumor is, the old hoses break down
and permit leak-by throughout the length of the hose. New hoses
prevent that.

For R-143a conversion, you'll need R-143 compatible O-rings (commonly
available) and schrader valve adaptors (if you keep your old hoses)
and you'll have to flush the system and refill the compressor with
ester oil once you get the mineral oil out.

I also recommend replacing the standard orifice tube in the evap with
a VOV (variable orifice valve). It's supposed to make things cooler
and I did notice a difference when I went from one to the other.

Again, I'm no expert but I did just complete the system overhaul with
a large amount of assistance from the Plakosh Foundation for the
Mechanically Challenged. ;)

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "secret_jedi_guy"
<secret_jedi_guy@xxxx> wrote:
> It would seem that summer time is the time for lots of A/C posts.
At
> this time I need to replace all three main A/C hoses. The ones from
> the comp. to condensor, comp to evaporator, and condensor to
> evaporator.  There is no freon charge left as it all has leaked out
> and the compressor clutch kicks on and off real fast so I'm not
> running it anymore.  I'm just using the vents on speed 4(just
replaced
> the circuit breaker).
>
> I was wondering if at this point should I convert my car to use
R134a