Re: [DML] Carfax

People put waaay to much faith in Carfax. Generally what it lists is
accurate, the problem with it (like  with people) is that it does not
know what it doesn't know. I bought a 2002 BMW that was a US spec car
delivered in Germany in 2002 and brought into the US in 2004. As far
as Carfax is concerned, the car fell out of the sky with 25000 miles
in it in 2004.

With DeLoreans, anything that happened prior to the time when states
started keeping and sharing electronic records is invisible. If you
find a car that has been out of the country or in a barn for the past
20 years, it won't show up at all.

The general rule with Carfax is that while it can SHOW problems with
prior owners, it can't rule them out. In other words, cars with
problems probably have problems,  but cars that show "clean" may not
be. There's no substitute for a good first-hand inspection.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <delornut@xxxx> wrote:

> I bought my DeLorean new in June 1982. The state of Minnesota
registered it
> as a 'Special', and never used the word DeLorean on the title. My
car won't
> show up in Carfax either because of that. When I applied for
collector