[DML] Re: JZD article

You've got to remember where this guy comes from: Detroit. Take a look
at "On a Clear Day..." JZD wrote that when he moved up to the 14th
floor, people didn't fall out of line. Be it your suit color, the
wallpaper or wood trim in your personal office, and even your way of
thinking. Now you take someone whose lived in the enviornment for so
long, and this is what you'll get. They'll share the same opinion
simply to appease their peers. Regardless of how they may feel. Their
lives are just that structured.

Now the unfortunete thing here is that these opinions spill over into
the public area. People like David E. Davis Jr. are "revered", simply
because they have the power to make their voices heard. Not because of
any actual knowlege their weight holds behind their spoken word. If
you sound more confident in your lies than an opponent is in their
truths, you will cause that other person to doubt themselves. Now
imagine that you feed someone some misinformation on a subject that
they know little to nothing about. They're gonna stick by that,
because they've heard nothing else. And will repeat that same scraps
of misinformation, so that they themselves can seem smart as well, on
whatever particular subject. And even if a person does have knowlege
about a subject, you tell them over and over again something, no
matter how false, and they'll accept it as a truth, simply out of peer
pressure, causing self-doubt. That's why so many people have rallied
against the DeLorean car, company, and the man all these years.
Everyone else says so, so why should anyone be outspoken at all? Peer
pressure has a beautiful way of punishing upopular speach in a
non-violent way, within a social construct.

It's not about the money lost in the investment of DMC. As we all here
found out a few years back, the DMC bankruptcy paid back investors
unheard of amounts. Damn-near 100% of their cash investments. So no,
it's not about the money. It's just a shared mentality of "Well,
everyone else out there is kicking JZD in the ribs, so I guess they
must be right in doing so. So gee, I guess I will too." That's all
this is.

Unpopular public opinion of our cars has stemed from negative media.
Not any kind of first hand experience. As a matter of fact, the
DeLorean car is still a bigger threat than ever to the automotive
market. People like Davis have written it off for years as a bad car.
So people out there who want to have image cars to impress others have
shyed away from it. However, as we've seen in the past few years here,
many people who are new to the car scene have chosen the DeLorean as
their vehicle of choice. A younger, more rebellious generation, who
easily snubb their collective noses at people like David E. Davis.
Long before I ever got a DeLorean, people tried to tell me that it
wasn't a good car. Told me it wouldn't be worth money. I read that it
wasn't a highly respected car to such higher-up people. And I, like
many others here, simply said that we didn't care. So we went ahead,
and got DeLoreans anyway. We drive them and rack up the miles like
there's no tomorrow. And we're pleased. BTTF may have attracted quite
a few people to the DeLorean automobile, but the DMC-12 itself is what
has kept so many loyal to it.

The reason that many people like David E. Davis Jr. don't like the
DeLorean isn't because they *know*, or even remotely *think* that
these are bad vehicles, or that their creators are. No. They dislike
cars like the DeLorean because they are a direct threat to the classic
car hobby. We shatter the image that you have to be older, and more
established to enjoy the car hobby. We're proving people like this guy
wrong. The DeLorean has had an unbelivable rebound back in value, and
collectability. Which proves wrong so many egotistical people, who
said our cars' value and desirability would decrease. We prove their
self-cherished opinions wrong. And it is because of that threat that
we generate such negative press from these people! It's not easy think
to have to be proven wrong, when you've built yourself up so much.

I've read up a little on Davis here. If this man is so revered, so
worshiped, and posseses such great knowlege about the in's and out's
of the automotive industry as his own magazines proclaim, then why am
I driving a 1981 DeLorean, instead of a "Davis" automobile? So much
for putting one's money where one's own mouth is, eh?

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"