[DML] Re: best battery to put in

Optima is a good choice.

Optima batteries are what they called VRLA batteries.  Valve Regulated
Lead Acid.  The acid won't leak for sure.  You can even mount it
upside down.  However, high temperature and overcharge will cause
safety vents to open.  The gas vented is hydrogen gas.  Some battery
designs re-route the hydrogen gas back into electrolyte to be
recombined so becomes a totally enclosed system.  I think Panasonic
has this design.  Optima design vents the hydrogen gas directly into
the atmosphere.  So careful when doing anything that exceed the
battery parameters.  Discharging the battery below the lower voltage
limit (as specified by manufacturer) won't cause the battery to vent
hydrogen gas, but it will kill your battery in a hurry.  You probably
figured out smoking around hydrogen gas is not a good idea.

Note: All lead acid batteries, if overcharged, will produce excessive
hydrogen gas.  The completely sealed gel lead acid batteries don't
have vents, so severe overcharge will literally blow the battery apart
or cause the housing to fail.

Steve Kuan
VIN#04421