[DML] Re: AC Drain leak on passenger carpet!

[DML] Re: AC Drain leak on passenger carpet!

I read some posts of how people cleaned leaves and debris from
behind the evaporator, which is located in the "big black box" under
the passenger side kneepad.  The fan blower motor has I think 5
screws that can be removed to drop the motor and fan.  The opening
will allow your hand and part of my forearm in deep enough to feel
the outside surface of the evaporator coil (is it called a coil?).
I was able to feel the debris with my fingers, but could only pinch
a little to pull out. To vacuum out, I duct taped a smaller used
engine vacuum hose to the end of the larger shop vac hose.  The
small flexible vacuum hose fit nicely into the AC box.  I could hold
the hose with my hand in the box and move the hose all around to get
the debris out. Granted, the hose opening was small, so I had to
stop and unclog it several time as it lost suction, but it gave me
about a cup of "crud".

My fan blower motor was also making a groaning whining sound, so
while it was out, I oiled the shaft that the squirrel cage fan
blades are on and it cured that sound.  I also verified the
direction of the motor rotation, which is counterclockwise when
looking into the fan cage (not the motor end).

I think most of these tips were posted by Dave Swingle(?), who had
recent issues with his AC fan arrangement.  Thanks to Dave and
others for these excellent tips.

Paul
Vin 10944

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "byrondelorean" <celiambyron@xxxx>