[DML] Re: car pings when accelerating

It's hard to tell the differences unless you are a mechanic, for me a
pinging is a different pitch sound and is more internal sounding [I'm
sure the helps a loooot]. I'm not really sure how to describe how it
would sound. If hear a hammering that's usually a rod cap that's loose
on the rod. The rockers won't be just a repeating ping or knocking
sound, they actually just 'chatter'. Like if you took all the rocker
arms and violently jiggled them up and down-with the play they have
they will all make noise but not in a repetition since some are
compressing the springs and etc so it will just be..well..noise. But
they will make noise only at certain times. Only when you're at lower
range RPMS with a good load on the engine will they chatter. For
instance, if you're going up a hill and you up shift to a gear that
can't quite pull the load of the car yet and you step on the gas hard
so it will-then you'll hear it. Or say if you're coasting on a road at
20 and you put it in 5th gear (assuming you have a 5spd)-car will be
at like 1000RPMS you'll hear them then too. But if you're going down
the highway at 60 and push on the gas in 5th you probably wont. So if
you have no load (driving a straight road) and you're at about
3500RPMS and you push on the gas, do you hear it then? Take the car
and try going down the road at 20 or 30 and then hit the gas, the
rockers will be noisy until the RPMS are up, and then fade even with
heavy acceleration. After I read this again to myself; because the
rockers only make the chatter at a low RPM range, you usually don't
always hit the range driving [5spd anyway] so most times you won't
hear the noise ALL the time but sometimes. Then again it depends on
your driving and shifting habits. Since I'm not sure what RPMS the
auto hits when it shifts, I will leave it out of this post. -----Dani
B. #5003