[DML] Simplified replacement of high-pressure AC hose

[DML] Simplified replacement of high-pressure AC hose

As I reported a little time back, I had my high-pressure AC hose
finally fail as a result of it rubbing against the emergency brake
cable. The high-pressure hose is the one that runs along the
driver's side of the frame.

I replaced the hose last night and thought I'd share a simplified
method for doing this. The workshop manual calls for separating the
body from the rolling chassis for this procedure, which is not that
big of a deal, but I found it to be unnecessary in my case.

The hardest part of the procedure was removing the shroud around the
radiator which I found to be necessary in order to get a wrench on
the condenser neck fitting to hold back on it while loosening the
hose fitting. I suspect that when they were new the shrouds were a
lot more flexible and easier to deform as necessary to slip into
place. It does come out fine with a little coaxing and flexing.

Instead of separating the body from the rolling chassis, in my case
I only needed about another 3/16" of clearance to slip the hose
through by taking advantage of the fitting geometry. To gain this
additional clearance, I loosened the driver's side body bolt in the
luggage compartment (leaving it still threaded but loosened about
1/8"), removed the two driver's side body mounting bolts on the
center tunnel plus the seatbelt ancor bolt (which also attaches the
body to frame), and loosened the driver's side rear body mounting
bolt that's approximately under the engine cover lightswitch. I left
the driver's side body mounting bolt in the rear pontoon untouched.

I then raised the car using the normal body lift points and was
pleased to see that I got a little bit of deflection to increase the
clearance slightly where the AC hose runs between the frame and body.

The hose sits between the frame and the body along the length of the
center section. To slip the hose out, I pulled the hose back and
through by rotating the hose until the metal bend portion of the
fitting (which is the narrowest part of the front fitting) slipped
out through the gap between the body and frame. It's a little
awkward to explain using words, but the 90 degree bend on the metal
fitting is oriented such that the fat hose is pulled through the
inner recess it sits in but the bend on the fitting pulls along the
length of the gap between the frame and body. The fitting on the end
of the bend is actually outside the channel.

In this fashion, the hose assembly can be withdrawn. In a couple
places along the route, I had to increase the deflection slightly by
gently using a prybar, but since the body bolts on the driver's side
are removed in this section I didn't have any trouble getting enough
deflection to slip the house out. The spot requiring the most
mucking was at the inner corner, where on my car the metal had
puckered in the forming process, making the clearance a little
tighter.

Aside from removing the radiator shroud (which I did the other day
and forgot to time how long it took), removing and reinstalling the
high-pressure hose took me about 45 minutes. A good lift is oviously
a grest help in this process and I suspect if you attempt to do this
on jackstands and a creeper your mileage will vary substantially.

    Knut