[DML] Re: Brake job

After replacing the rack you really need to have an alignmnet done so
the Toe is set correctly. After 2 years you should be flushing and
bleeding the brake fluid AND the clutch fluid. Front brake pads wear
much faster than the rears so you HAVE to inspect the rears too but
just because the fronts are gone does not mean the rears are too. Also
inspect the e-brake bads. If they drag they wear out prematurely. The
pads change easily by pulling pins. Get the pads from a "D" vendor,
they will get you the correct pads with the shims and pins and clips.
You LIGHTLY scuff the inner and outer surfaces of the rotors when
replacing the pads with 80#. This ONLY works if there is no deep
scoring and the pedal does not pulsate. A pulsating pedal indicates a
warped rotor which will either have to be replaced or "cut". Deep
scoring might also be correctable by cutting if they are not too deep.
After replacing the pads try not to do any heavy braking or emergency
stops for around 500 miles so the rotors and pads can "bed" in.
Failure to let the brakes "bed" in can result in glazing which will
reduce the braking ability of the car. It can be undone by scuffing
the rotors again and lightly sanding the surface of the brake pads by
presenting fresh surfaces again. Glazing can also produce a lot od
squeaks and chirping. Another big upgrade you can do is to replace the
brake hoses with the braided steel lines. It will give you a stiffer,
more responsive pedal. Also gets rid of those 20 + year old brake hoses.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "secret_jedi_guy"