[DML] Re: Can someone explain this? (distributor positioning)

[DML] Re: Can someone explain this? (distributor positioning)

Thank you to everyone who responded to my message and helping me with
my ongoing troubles! Driving the car home it was running so bad
[rich] that the only way I could make it idle and drive was to unplug
the frequency valve from the bulkhead-and the car behaves somewhat
normal now except still a misfire. Will unplugging this damage
anything? Now I'll slow down and list the things I've replaced and my
findings when scouting around the engine bay; maybe someone can
identify an additional problem from my observations.

I just took the
intake off the other day, and the air passages of the mixture unit
and intake were covered with black sludge [dirty air filter from
PO?]. The intake ports [in the heads] were clean on the bottoms, but
sides and tops have black soot, almost like carbon that's burned on,
whatever it was- it was hard to clean off. I have the aftermarket
filter from John Hervey, I keep it very clean so I'm imaging the
gummy black stuff was accumulated over the course of the last 24
years. All plugs had carbon on them indicating a rich (?) mixture. I
rebuilt the mixture control unit to make sure there was nothing
leaking air, sure enough #102772 was leaking [now fixed]. Upon
inspection of the cap; the contacts were burned so I put on a new cap
with the old rotor, I'm still waiting for the new one to come in
[just ran to advance for these].

I just rebuilt the distributor
[ignition] plus I have another one on the way which I'm going to swap
with mine as well as a new tach wire. I tested the cold start valve
and frequency valve, crimped and made sure everything is connecting
well. I've replaced the plugs, wires, rotor 2 years ago (>6KMI on
these). I just did the cap, and I replaced the lambda sensor 1 year
ago. The CPR I've never replaced and many people have told me this
could be one of my problems.

So if you know me-like anything else
that doesn't work-I ripped it off and opened it up to see if I could
fix it. Fried wires; the white one (not the one with the green wrap
on it) coming from the contact of the plug- melted the cover right
off, and the second white wire that goes to the connector on the bolt
was missing a good section that looked as if a good short blew it
apart.

So I found at least one of my problems, but what would cause
this to happen? Without the heating parts working inside could this
cause many of my described problems? Is there anything I should or
can do or unplug to compensate for the bad CPR? I will check out the
spark wires tomorrow, yeah I'm good with rebuilding engines and
transmissions etc, but even a rocket scientist can cross a wire; it's
that easy to do. I'm actually hoping that's what I did! I figured I
may as well see if any of the wires are dead while I'm at it. I'll
test the fuel pressures, voltages and ignition components as well.
Hopefully after all of this I'll have a trouble-free car again!
Also
when it comes to CO adjustments, I can go the full range between rich
and lean, and the FV doesn't wanna run continuously, but more at an
erratic pace. If I push in the full throttle switch only then does it
run continuously and sound `healthy'. Is this because of the CPR? By
the way, I'm doing all the tests and adjusting with the O2 sensor
unplugged just incase. Thanks again for ALL the help, explanations
and answers! -----Dani B. #5003