[DML] New(ish) DeLorean Owner, North of the Border - Hello!

[DML] New(ish) DeLorean Owner, North of the Border - Hello!

Hello everyone...

My name is Ed, and I've been lurking 'round the list for many months
now, thought I'd finally chime in.  I purchased my 1982 D (11594) last
November from a nice guy in Michigan, and brought it back to enjoy a new
life of fine driving here in Toronto, Canada.  I've long yearned for a
DeLorean, and it's great to finally have one.  I've owned many different
cars in the past, from Audis, to Maseratis, to Porsches, but the DMC-12
is one I've been most happy to add to "the stable".  Sure, it's not a
particularly fast car, and sure, it gets a lot of attention (good and
bad), but basically... I just like the car.  I like it's styling, it's
ride, the stainless.... but I'm sure I don't have to defend my purchase
here...!

The car was in pretty good shape when I bought it, but it did need some
work to make it "perfect" (to me, at least).  This list, its archives
and its members are all a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate the help
and advice I've received from many of you I've contacted privately.  I
have had nothing but good experiences from the parts suppliers like
DMCH, PJ Grady and Special-T, as well as list members who have sold me
parts and offered sage advice.

I just finished up refreshing the front-end: bushings, control arms,
ball joints, tie rod ends, steering mounts, and the steering column
bushing (I NEVER want to do THAT again!)...  Anyway, the car now drives
great, is tight & stable, and needs nothing mechanically and will likely
see its way down to Josh in Ohio in the future for a fascia re-paint &
re-align (doesn't line up nice and flush to the fender panel).  I do
have a few concerns and questions that I hope can be answered in the
mean-time:

1.  How does one remove the vertical panel at the back of the parcel
shelf?  I would like to install 6" speakers back there (in the panel,
facing forward), but was wondering how to remove it and if there is any
room/depth for speakers?  I'd probably be buying a new panel and cutting
that, to leave my original in tact if I want to revert to stock later.
I really don't want to mess with removing the stock rear speakers, not
to mention I can't find 4x10's I like.  I could always stick some 6x9's
in a box, but there's already so little space back there, and I'd like
to keep it all looking clean.

2. How "grippy" should the brakes be, specifically the rears?  I
installed new rear calipers (purchased from eBay) -- along with new
rotors, pads, pins, reservoir/fluid, master cylinder & front calipers
from DMCH & PJG -- but I seem to be only braking mostly with my fronts.
I should be able to lock up the wheels in hard braking, right?  In fact,
with the car on jackstands, the rear brakes barely hold the rotors from
spinning under even mild acceleration in 1st gear.  I'm thinking I have
bad calipers, and will put the old ones back to verify this, since I
recall far better braking before I swapped all the stuff.  (Pedal fells
good, system is bled properlly.)  I also just wanted to know what
everyone thought about the stock brake system.  Seems a little weak in
my opinion.  Anybody upgrade the calipers & if so, what have you used?
Vented rotors up front?

3. If there are any other Toronto & surrounding area listers out there,
I'd like to know if you can recommend any mechanics or garages.  My
Porsche mechanics who did my front-end work are OK, but they took a LONG
time due to unfamiliarity with the car (I loaned them the manuals, which
helped).  Most basic items I can do myself but for the "tough-stuff"
it'd be nice to have a knowledgeable wrench in there.

Lastly, if anyone is in the Toronto area, please feel free to look me
up; I'm in the registry -- any are welcome to drop in & I can offer
fantastic coffee, refreshing beer, or a driveway & tools to do some
basic work & talk shop...

Thanks in advance...
- ed

1982  DMC-12 (11594)