[DML] Door Strut Length

Some months ago I bought a door strut from one of the well known
DeLorean parts suppliers. Just now I finally have time to begin
putting it on and have discovered something that is troublesome.

The new strut, when fully extended ( which of course it is all the
time due to gas pressure ) is about an inch longer than the one
presently on the passenger door. This is when the door is lifted as
high as it can be made to go.

The problem is that since the new strut can't be easily compressed,
I'm not sure I can get it on since it's longer than the one presently
installed on the door.

I'd sure appreciate hearing some thoughts on this.