[DML] won't start low primary pressure

My car has always started very easily.  For the past year tho
it has started to starve (or load up?) after running about 5 minutes.
Once it got thru that period - usually by letting it sit for a few
minutes - it ran fine.

Then one day about 20 minutes into a drive, it died turning a corner
and would not start.  Towed her home and have been checking things
over.

Finally got a fuel pressure gauge last night and find the following.
connecting the gauges as per fig. 18 D:02:02 (between the fuel
distributor and the control pressure regulator) if find:
crank the engine and the fuel pressure comes up to 2.9bar (~42psi)
the specs say the primary pressure should be 4.9-5.5bar, so
mine it quite low.
I also note that removing the RPM relay and jumpering terminal 87
to 30 did NOT run the pump (key on), altho I do hear the pump run
either before or just after cranking - key on.  And the pump is
clearly working at some level.
Specs also say injectors open at 3.5 to 4.1bar - so clearly that's
a problem.

I have done the hot start trick, of putting the gray connector onto
the cold start valve - no joy.  Not even a bit of fire.
I've checked the spark, by pulling the plugs one by one and it seems
ok - surely enough to fire - even if it's not perfect. Eyeballing this
is a poor test.
I can smell gas fumes in the tail pipes so something is getting there,
but maybe not enuf.

The system held pressure overnight, only dropping to 2.55bar.

Anyone know what causes low primary pressure, while being able to
hold pressure overnight?  Also, I've seen no evidence of leaks.
Thanks very much,
Steve