RE: [DML] High idle

I want to add a problem we had with a friends car here in NC when we were
trying to figure out his high idle problem after a rebuild of everything
from the Manifold up.  We replaced all vacuum lines as well as the Thermal
Vacuum Switch under the intake.  I decided to try something and unplugged
the line going into the Ignition Distributor.

Voila!

Vacuum at Idle.  As you all know there is supposed to be no vacuum at idle
because the Microswitch shuts off the Vacuum Solenoid till you press the gas
and open the switch providing ground for the Solenoid.

This was the problem and the Vacuum Solenoid was the culprit in conjunction
with the Microswitch.  Once both units were swapped out the car ran fine.

I suggest also checking the above out as well as the suggestion by Video Bob
and of course check for vacuum leaks.

Jeff in NC

>From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: RE: [DML] High idle
>Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:14:49 -0500
>
>We have been discussing this recently, but it has always been an issue.
>I have had my car looked at by people and no one figured it out.
>Recently I found my problem with the help of someone on this list (Elvis).
>It was the "idle speed motor".
>This is a small cylinder on the top, left, rear of the engine with a wire
>harness
>plugged into the top.
>When you turn the key to the full on position (without starting)
>you should hear it whirring.
>This is controlled by the idle ICU computer that is behind the drivers seat
>under the shelf.
>Everyone wants to blame this for the problem but I am betting that the
>25 year old electric motor sitting on top of a 200+ degree engine is
>usually
>problem!
>
>Crank the car up, and fiddle with the wire harness on top of the motor,
>better yet, unplug  it and see what happens.
>I have found that my car idles and runs just fine when I just leave it
>UNPLUGGED.
>When I plug it in, the idle jumps up to 1500-2000.
>
>Try it and see what happens.
>If that's not it it could be the computer, or a leak.
>- VB

[long quote trimmed by moderator]