[DML] Re: DMCH Seat Covers Review

Hey Jake...

Thank you for the glowing compliment!
It's good to know that I was able to help someone?and good to know
that someone likes my writing.  :)

If you want to tighten up the leather a bit, you can, carefully, run a
hair dryer over it.  Or leave it in the sun.  Otherwise, it should
tighten up naturally over time.

Your new seat covers look really nice!  I like the extra padding...the
seats look more comfortable.

Thanks again!
Dave Jacobs

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp@xxxx> wrote:

> All,
>
> Some may remember me recently posting that I was looking to replace
my seat
> covers.  I had seen the DMCH grey covers before installed on a car,
but I
> don't recall ever seeing the black ones.  Only hours after my post
hit the
> DML, James Espey had sent me pictures of the black covers installed
on a car
> so I ordered them.
>
> First, I'll admit, I am extremely picky with cosmetic details on the
car.  I
> don't at all mind replacing OEM pieces, but I want them to look
exactly as
> they did from the factory.  When my seat covers arrived, they were
packaged
> nicely, shipped inside out.  I noticed the covers have much more
padding
> than the originals and are manufactured much more nicely.  The
stitching was
> almost exactly the same as the originals and the grain is nearly
identical
> to the other interior pieces.  I did have some mild complaints, though,
> granted it was at the height of that post-sale cognitive dissonance:  I
> thought the covers might be too "wrinkly" and the color was not what
I was
> used to.  My old covers were a little bit darker black with a more
"slick"
> appearance.  However!.....
>
> When I started to remove my old skins, I felt much better.  I found
a piece
> of the seat vinyl that was tucked under the seat, never being
exposed to
> sun, skin, armor-all, leatherique, or anything else.  I compared
that piece
> with the new covers to find they were pretty damn close.  Remarkably
> similar, actually.  As far as the wrinkles go, I visited Tamir's
site and
> looked up all the pictures I could of a new DeLorean interior in 1981.
> Guess what?  Lots of wrinkles.  I always knew there were some, but
that new
> leather was very loose on the seats back in '81 -and uncle Jake was all
> happy again.
>
> How to install them??  Easy!  Grab my trusty winter issue of Gullwing
> Magazine with the exceptionally entertaining and informative article
written
> by Dave Jacobs.  Dave explains how to do it all, with pictures too!
 Thanks
> Dave.  I installed them myself only muttering a few obscenities over a
> leisurely weekend.  It's a much more time-consuming job than it
appears, but
> I wouldn't classify it as exceptionally difficult.  I was a little
> discontent with the fit of the headrests, but I just pulled those
boys as
> tight as I could and they came out pretty nice.
>
> My recommendation: *buy them*.    I've spent the last week or two
driving on
> them and I love them; and they are much softer than the originals.
I've