[DML] Re: Poor airflow thru heater-A/C

Any of this is possible - to find out you'll have to go look at the
car. There is no way to tell which of the things it could be based on
only a written description. Here are some thoughts on what to look
for:
---
If the drain hose is plugged you get wet carpet. It does not impact
the air flow. The end of the drain hose is visible if you remove the
access panel under the spare tire. When the A/C blower is operating
you should feel some airflow from the hose. You should be able to
blow thru it.

---
Air flow can be slowed by many things - you could have an inoperative
vacuum-controlled door, a reversed/bad motor, an evaporator full of
leaves. The only way to tell will be to go thru some troubleshooting
and eliminate things. If you remove the motor you can get your hand
in the evap case and see how much gook is in the bottom. Clean it out
as best you can, anything in there holds moisture and will cause the
evaporator to corrode just that much faster.
---
Trace the vacuum hose routing to make sure that everything is in the
right place. There is a great diagram in the tech manual (not the
service manual). Use a mighty-vac (hand vacuum pump) to manually
operate the vacuum doors in turn.
---

A quick check on the fan is to remove the fan from the mount but
leave it connected. Turn it on while holding it in your hand. Facing
the blower it should turn counterclockwise.

You can easily reverse the fan to see if this is the problem. The fan
is under the dash on the right side. There is one red wire and
several black wires that terminate there. To reverse the motor you
only have to swap the wires. There is only one lug where the red wire
oes, so to hook up the three black wires there you'll have to make up
a jumper from spade connectors. Then you can connect the one red wire
to the original ground, and the three black wires to the
original "hot" lead. This will reverse the motor, if your airflow is
suddenly a lot better then someone used the wrong fan at some point
(there's a fan on most of the cross-ref lists that does this!).
If you decide to leave it this way keep in mind that the case of the
fan motor is now "electrically hot".
---
Another thing to consider - why did the original fan motor fail?
Heater fans normally last a pretty long time, normally the life of
the car. BUT - if the drain is clogged and the evap case fills up
with water, in addition to eventually soaking the carpet on the right
side it will splash over into the fan motor which makes it get rusty
and lock up.

----

AC not being cold enough is a refrigeration problem. Get the airflow
right first, if it's still not cold you're going to need to find
someone who can check and/or recharge the system.

Dave Swingle