RE: [DML] Re: R-12 Certification and purchase

RE: [DML] Re: R-12 Certification and purchase

Air and moisture will not enter a system which is still under pressure,
adding R12 to bring the pressure back to nominal should restore
performance, short term.  There are two good reasons to evacuate and
repair though.  The first is that if the system has problems its best to
fix them, you are just asking for trouble otherwise - its just a matter
of time.  The second is that if the system is leaking Freon, an evil
CFC, its hurting the environment.

If the system had been opened, or if the pressure had bled off and
equalized, then there would be air and moisture and untold contaminates
in the system.  In that case there is lots of work required.

In this case the system has pressure, just less than is required to
allow it to kick on.  The AC on this car presumably did not run for 12
years or so,  if there is a leak it has been a slow one.  Its also
possible that since the car sat for 12 years only 40 feet from a group
of 20 or so full time mechanics constantly tinkering, that someone
"borrowed" a pound or so of R12 during that time in the late 90's when
lots of folks were still driving R12 cars in a world where R12 got
scarce and expensive.  I know that's what happened to the original radio
- someone decided it was better off in their car than in mine.  This is
further bolstered by the fact that the service caps for the ports were
sitting in the engine area when I found the car, not installed on the
ports.  Wishful thinking maybe but hope springs eternal.

Even if the system has not leaked, it is possible that as soon as the
pressure goes up in it for the first time in years that it will then
start to leak.  No way to know.

Ultimately I want a perfectly operating system, and I'm hoping the
system holds the R12 nicely until I have the time and resources to
rebuild the system.  In the meantime its nearing 100 degrees here every
day now and if I'm going to get this thing on the road, then I'm looking
to put a can or R12 in it to see what it does.

Tom
10902