Re: [DML] Amplifiers.

In a message dated 7/13/2005 12:33:31 P.M. Central Standard Time,
dmcvegas@xxxxxxx writes:

Out of  curiousity, why would you need a amp in the DeLorean? I run
Infinity Kappa  6x9" 3 channels in the back, and 5¼" composits on the
kickpanels, with  tweeters in the dash. Coupled with a Kenwood 60Wx4
head unit. The sound is  crystal with clear treble, and does a decent
job of thumping the  floorboards for good base (it's like driving around
in a drum). And all  this without an amp.

If you've got some subwoofers, I understand the  need for an amp, but
for regular speakers? How much of a difference does  this actually make
for sound?

-Robert
vin 6585  "X"

Robert,

Yes for many people a full range amplifier is unnecessary.  My dad,  for
instance, is not an audiophile and normally listens to talk radio or other  easier
stations at low volume.  No reason for him to install an  amplifier.  Others
such as myself and apparently Marty demand more from our  stereo systems which
a headunit cannot handle.  One thing to point out  is that your Kenwood
headunit which says 60w X 4 on the faceplate is boasting  it's maximum output.  The
head unit's output is more like 14 to 18 Watts  RMS.  With an external
amplifier you get 70 watts RMS (in my case) which  equates to more headroom for
accurate sound reproduction at higher sound  levels.  Many times a high quality
external amplifier will utilize better  components than a stand-alone headunit
too - more chassis room, less  compromises.  At low volumes the differences
will be minute but at higher  volumes a quality external amplifier will always
outperform a headunit.   You need those extra watts of headroom - let's say you a
re listening to music at  50% power, you have 50% reserve (or 3dB reserve) to
amplify transients or other  sudden power demands.  The more power you have
total, the more headroom you  have.  For oldies music, transients or other
sudden demands are uncommon -  for many newer types of music such as electronic,
rap, industrial, hard rock,  even country - and ESPECIALLY classical -
transients and volume changes are  common and demanding - at medium to higher volumes,
the music just isn't the  same without loads of headroom.

Another great feature of many stand-alone amplifiers is that most have
options like multi-channel crossovers, infrasonic filters, variable pass  filters,
or on-board equalizers which are often better than those found on a  headunit.
 You need these types of things when adding subwoofers or other  speakers or
equipment to you system.

The bottom line is some people view their car stereo as something to
generate background music for long trips - for others it's a huge part of the
driving experience, and for those of us whom are the latter - an external  amplifier
is a requirement.

Andy