[DML] Amplifier mounted on firewall (was Abandon the spare?)

[DML] Amplifier mounted on firewall (was Abandon the spare?)

I have a Soundstream 244 amplifier, using #8 guage wire for the hot
and #4 for the ground, both from Lighting audio. The hot is tied
directly to the battery while I tried moving the ground from the
battery to other points nearby but no change in the result. The
input wires are of the unshielded twisted pair type, also from
Lighting Audio which are supposed to be the latest and greatest in
noise elimination, I thought.

The noise was twofold: there was a lot of ignition noise which
produced a "popping" sound in time with the engine, and also
alternator whine. When I moved the amp to the floor, the poping was
gone but I still had the whine. Installing a filter on the power
from David Navone Engineering solved that part of the problem.

One I get the car back together from my AC extravaganza, I might try
some other things. I bought a set of Magnecor CN25 ignition cables
which are supposed to help with this problem, but haven't installed
them yet. I presently have 8.5mm MSD wires on the car with a NOS
coil.

What brand of amplifier are you using so successfully?

Marty Galbreath
3765