RE: [DML] RPM Relay/ECM/Pulse generator Diagnostics - Problem found?

RE: [DML] RPM Relay/ECM/Pulse generator Diagnostics - Problem found?

Thanks to all for their help here.  I went out and purchased a timing
light and found I had no spark at the coil, much less the plugs - so
apart she came.

While everything "looked fine" I gave up and reinstalled the original
cap and rotor.  According to documentation they only have about 300
miles (and 13 years) on them.  They looked fine.  The only reason I
replaced them at all is that I had already purchased the new ones by the
time I burrowed down to the distributor.

Here's my first bad.  I didn't buy the new cap and rotor from a Delorean
Vendor - I picked up a Volvo cap and rotor (genuine Bosch) from a local
supplier.  They looked so spot on perfect that It never occurred to me
they were not right.  Maybe they are fine - but as soon as I put the old
ones back on I got my spark back and the rpm relay function was
restored.

My next mistake - when I went to clamp down the cap again the bottom
clip (the one you couldn't get a good look at if your life depended on
it) popped off.  The clip is fine, its just not installed on the car
anymore.  I tried for a while to get it back on blind - then I gave up
and used a cable tie around the clip base and two of the plug terminals.
Its very snug for now but not how I wanted to leave it.

So I'm back to where I was - I have spark and gas and believe it will
run fine - have to put coolant back in the engine first to find out
though, and that's still a few hoses away.

Thanks again to all.