From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bernie
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 3:22 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DML] RPM Relay/ECM/Pulse generator Diagnostics

Check your rotor, and make sure it's on the right way.  I have had it happen to me before (not on a DeLorean) and it's really embarresing, flip it 180 and the engine starts.  Just give it a quick check.  All of your symptoms point to it.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom Tait" <TTait@xxxx> wrote:
> I'm concerned because my failure coincides with replacing the cap
and rotor and I'm afraid I disturbed something at the distributor, When I last had time to look at the car a few days ago (my wife is sick so the car is on the back burner for a bit)  I was able to determine that the RPM relay was not closing, but was getting a 3 volt DC signal as read by my meter.  I now understand that the signal is a pulse and cannot be read realizably in a DC voltage mode.

> I'm happy to replace the relay, and am looking at the upgraded
relay from SpecialTauto,  but I'm really more concerned that I screwed something up elsewhere.  My understand was that the signal went from the distributor to the ECM and then to the relay.  I'd love to verify proper operation of each of these components.

> What do I really need to do?  Check Ohm reading at the rear
firewall connector and verify 600 ohms - right?  At all times or only when cranking?  This tells me the distributor is ok, but maybe not the ECM?  I do suspect that I need to reset the timing at the distributor - when installing the cap I inadvertently knocked the Rotor, although I tried to put it back in its original position I probably screwed that up.  Could the timing being out cause the RPM relay to malfunction?

> It just seems like a heck of a coincidence that I would lose an
RPM relay while messing with the distributor.

Behalf Of doctorDHD@xxxx
> Sent: Monday, July 04, 2005 5:36 AM
> To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [DML] RPM Relay/ECM/Pulse generator Diagnostics
>

> Tom,
>
> What exactly are you trying to accomplish or find out?
>
> The "signal" going to the RPM relay is on the WS wire (white with
a slate
> stripe) and comes from the Ignition ECU to ignition coil  primary
connection.
> It is a "tach" signal and thus you should be able  to get a
reading with a standard automotive diagnostic tachometer.

> If this info does not help, please give us more details about what
you  need.

> D² & 6530
> Currently undergoing a water pump change.
>
> Message:  6
> Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005  15:16:59 -0700
> From: "Tom Tait"  <TTait@xxxx>
> Subject: RPM Relay/ECM/Pulse generator  Diagnostics
>
> Is there a procedure available to test the signal going to  the
RMP relay?  Can the relay itself be tested with a 12 VDC power supply or do I need an alternating/pulsing current?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews