Re: [DML] Penetrating oil, or how to remove really corroded nuts

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Soma576@xxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 7/4/2005 11:48:40 A.M. Central Standard Time,
> bmanderville@xxxx writes:
>
> Hi all,  decided to dive in and start tinkering with the car this
> morning.   Immediate problems, all I want to do is replace the
> alternator, and the AC  and Altrenator belts.  Well the adjusting
bolt
> retaining nut  (SP10037) on the lower AC pulley bracket (10072) is
stuck
> on there like  you would not believe, I have soaked it with
penetrating
> oil for over 2  hours and it just will not breakfree, any one got
any
> ideas?
>

> Bernie,
>
> I have found that often times a quick sharp jab at a fastener will
break it
> free better than slowly applying more pressure. When you go fast,
you usually
> break what rust or other opposing forces are on there free.  When
you go
> slow, you often twist metal until it breaks, especially with nuts
and  bolts.  I
> would also suggest using some heat i.e. propane torch on stubborn
fasteners.
> just watch where you point that thing!  I would replace the
rubber oil seal
> behind the belt tensioner thing anyway, and especially if you  get
any heat by
> it.
>
> Good Luck
> Andy

I finally got it broken loose, but the nut still sticks and for the
life of me I can't figure out how anyone can get a wrench on it
while on the car.  But any way, I can now tear it apart and put it
back together in about 30 mins.  Bet I can do it faster the next
time.  I didn't back the nut off far enough to get the new belt on.
So next time I go in it all comes apart again.   And this time I'm
backing the retaining nut wayyyyy off.  And I will get the nut off
of the alternator even if I have to use a nut cracker on it.

I am more than likely just going to get a new bolt and nut for the
AC belt adjustment, and that will be the end of it, until the next
time ;).

Bernie