From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of ComposerZelgadis@xxxxxxx
Sent: 05 July 2005 08:11
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Re: What's on my stainless?

Thanks to all for the replies; it is truly appreciated!

I had considered regraining the panels, but to be honest, I'm most
hesitant to do so.  Mainly because I have minimal skill with
regraining.  I "buffed" a scratch out of my front left fender, and the
result was most satisfactory.  However, I had something to brace myself
on (that being the edge of the car) to insure I was going in a
perfectly straight line.  I do not have this advantage with my hood
(which is where most of the waterspots are visible).

I guess I'm willing to attempt it, but I have some questions first.

1) If you regrain only one portion of the panel, does it show?  i.e. do
you have to regrain the entire hood evenly?

2) What is the proper procedure of regraining?  Do you move only in one
direction, or can you go back and forth?

3) Is there any kind of cleaner I should spray on the hood before
regraining?  Or can this be done "dry"?

4) What tips/tricks are there to insure that you're going in perfect
harmony with the existing grain?

5) Is there anything a newbie should be aware of before undertaking
this project?  Please keep in mind that I have minimal technical
experience; make no assumptions of knowlege on my part.  Basically,
talk to me like I'm a twelve year old (never thought I'd hear myself
say that! Haha)

Thanks a bunch in advance, guys.  I appreciate it.

Regards,
William Fries

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews