[DML] Car Show/John's Memory

Well, I finally did it.  I got 1st place in what is
now the biggest car show in Maine last Sunday  VIP
auto parts sponsored "Show, Shine and Drag" at the
Oxford Plains speedway.

I entered in the "British" car division, much to the
confusion of one of the Mini Cooper owners.  I had to
explain to him why there is the British
connection....anyway, I usually only 3rd or 2nd place
or nothing as in last year.

This year was very interesting....not one joke about
cocaine, not one nasty comment about John's arrest, no
digs at all.  I was very surprised by the genuine
interest in the car and the number of people who knew
about his  passing.  Lots of comments like "he
certainly had a vision"  "too bad the Big 3 tried to
squash him" etc...

On the front windsheild I had a framed picture of JZD
that one of you created with smaller pic around it and
his birth/death date.  People were very respectful not
to say any shit about him which was really nice.

It was also nice not to have to defend him as in past
years.  I can only guess that the news of his passing
and reports gave people a better understanding of his
legacy.

Anyway it was great to beat out the 2 MG's and the 3
Mini-Coopers (one new one and 2 older ones)...Victory
at last.  I supposed it also helped that I had
numerous BTTF props in the car for a "taste" of the
BTTF car...Time Circuit, plutonium guages, flux
capacitor and a full sized Mr Fusion with accurate
base and lid.  It really added to the overall
presentation and drew people over to look, especially
the kids.

I hope this new attitude with the public wasn't a
fluke.  Boy, what a thing it would be if his memory is
really going to be honored with the public re-thinking
his contribution to the auto industry and not
re-hashing what they "think" they know to be true.

Tom Watkins

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com