Re: [DML] Re: disseminating information.

Marc Levy wrote:

> . . . the technical and historical information that
> was in the possession of KPAC, which we can only
> assume is now in the hands of DMCH.

As I have mentioned before, some of the historical material was removed
before Kapac got it and placed in the automotive research library of the
Crawford Auto Museum here in Cleveland.  It is still there.

Historic clarification: Consolidated was the company that actually took
possession of the stuff, as described in SSI.  Kapac was the company
that distributed parts to DeLorean vendors for so many years.  I think
Kapac's Marvin Katz described the details of the Kapac/Consolidated
relationship at Ken Koncelik's Memphis show.

Here is the stopry as I understand it:

Back when they were taking possession, a Consolidated executive named
Jeff Abrams selected some items that he believed had historic value,
like the VIN 500 car, and donated them to the Crawford.  A small portion
of these items, like the original model of the DMC factory that once
stood outside JZD's office, were displayed at Ken Koncelik's Cleveland
show.  The collection includes documents, photographs, movie films, the
banner from DMC's trade show booth, and other items that Mr. Abrams
thought to preserve for posterity.

I have seen some of this collection, which is stored safely in the
library stacks but not on display.  The Crawford's inventory list of the
collection goes on for many pages.  If Mr. Abrams did a good job, then
it is likely that the most significant items are in Cleveland, not
Houston, housed in a library where anyone can see them.

DMC Texas is in the business of selling parts and service, the Crawford
Auto Museum is in the business of preserving automotive history.  If
someone wants to make a project of digging for tidbits of long-forgotten
DeLorean history I suggest you pay the Crawford a visit before you bug
the people at DMC.  The Crawford will probably be more fruitful and (no
offense James and Warren) more receptive to letting you comb through
their stuff.  But I warn you, an hour or two isn't enough time to
accomplish anything.  If you really want to document this stuff, you'll
want to take a month's vacation.

If anybody takes a month of vacation in Cleveland to document DeLorean
history, the beer is on me.

- Mike Substelny
  In sweltering Cleveland, wishing I hadn't switched my car to R-134A.