[DML] Re: The DOA and DML (long)

The main thing I question about the DOA is similar to the point that James mentions below.  What is the DOA offering now that is different than before?  If anything they offer less for a higher membership fee.  They have not even had an annual expo that I know if in a few years.  I was a DOA member for some time.  However with the growth of the the local clubs and the many events they hold, as well as the incredible show Ken puts on, as well as others, I fail to see what the DOA has to offer anyone who resides outside southern California.  Exactly what should someone expect for the 72.00 a year membership dues?  Just to say, "I am a DOA member?"  There are other places to get a quarterly Delorean magazine for far less than 72.00 a year which is the main thing I am aware of the DOA offers for a membership.  In fact I think Ken's DCS Magazine as well as Gullwing are much better than DW Magazine.  It seems in almost every part of the country there is some local or regional Delorean club that has an active membership.  I know our club Delorean Mid Atlantic has quarterly events as well as other benefits for a membership cost of 15 dollars a year, just as the other regional clubs provide their members with many of the same things.  I just don't see any thing, let alone a list of things, that would justify someone to spend 72.00 a year to be a member.  Especially if you are outside of southern CA.  I understand the current offer to join and get all the back issues is a reasonable deal.  But that aside what would justify the 72.00 dollars a year dues?  Am I missing something?

Gary Gore

<<From: James Espey <james@xxxxxxxxxx>

<snip>
Is there still a need for an organization like the DOA? Now that we have
several robust local owner groups around the world, the DCS and DMC
(Texas) shows, three good magazines to choose from, the DeLorean Owners
Directory (another idea of mine that the DOA refused to implement, so I
created one through the DML) and the mailing list and new DMCHelp.com
forums, no, I don't think a need for the DOA exists any longer. What
will they offer that is markedly different or better than any of those
things just mentioned? And at a price that is competitive or better than
what is already available?>>