Re: [DML] DOA (long response)

While I'm not a member of the DOA, I do commend them for the work they have
done over the years.  They were the first group dedicated to the DeLorean,
(back in 82 or 83) when the legacy of the DeLorean was not yet established.  The
founders and members of the DOA deserve our respect for taking the necessary
steps toward founding an orginazation that supports the DeLorean automobile.
Back when the DOA was formed  the DeLorean corporation had just, or was going
under, and the future of parts, and techinical support was grim to say the
least.
       The DML on the other hand has made use of the internet and provided a
way for current DeLorean owners and fans to communicate via e-mail and the
internet, using the internet to answer tech questions and help owners fix and
maintain their DeLorean's with e-mails on an daily basis, and then as the years
progressed within every few hours.  I myself have been a member of the DML
before I even purchased my DeLorean,  and have gotten a great amount of good
advice, and information from the e-mails, as I'm sure that many others have.

       A few of you who know me, might also know that along with DeLoreans,
I'm am also a  fan of history, and politics, and I would only like to remind
people of a historical precident, Nixon visited China in 1972, not because we
always agreed on policy, but because we had more to gain from cooperation,
rather then confrentation. While not to compare the DOA and the DML to geopolitics,
we both share an interest in the DMC-12, and we have much more to gain from
cooperation, rather then argument on the areas where we may differ.
       Let's face it, as DeLorean owners we only have our vendors and each
other to rely on.  We should always be greatful for the support of the vendors
and each other.  We have no factory, the parts stores (not all, but a good
number) don't have the ability, willingness, nor the time to help us,  and, well,
the general public (again, not all, but a good number) think that we drive a
car that was made only for a movie.
       So to make a long story short the DOA and the DML are in similar
situations, a goal of support for DeLorean owners, and the goal of getting the
DeLorean automobile the repect that it rightfully deserves.  If I am correct, and
we have these same goals, I would encourage a reapproachment between the DML
and DOA, and would extend an open invitation to all the vendors.  I would
encourage all the vendors to post on the list, your advice and knowledge is always
respected.
       Without a community of support,DeLorean owners would find it difficult
to maintain and for all purposes own their DeLoreans.  From this time foward,
we should focus on the many issues that unite the DeLorean community, rather
then the few issues that divide us, we owe it to to the legacy of the DeLorean
automobile, and to the memory of John Z. DeLorean.

Let us work together to keep the dream alive,

Andrew,
4194