[DML] Re: Fuel injector additives

Modern gasoline has what is called an "additives package" which among
many other things includes things that are supposed to keep a fuel
injection system clean. I say "KEEP" it clean, not clean it up. For a
system that is used regularly there are injector cleaners that do work
if it is not too bad. Techron is a particularly good one. If you have
a fuel injection system that is heavily contaminated there is no magic
cleaner that you can pour in that will clean it. Same goes for a
system that has old fuel in it that has not been used for a long time.
In these cases the best advice is to drain the tank, wash it out,
flush out the lines and components, clean and test the injectors and
mixture unit, and replace the fuel filter. If the system is not
terrible you may be able to salvage most of the components. Do not try
to overdo the use of fuel system/injector cleaners. They have cautions
on the labels that you can do serious damage to the engine if you use
them too much or too often. Some will damage the catalytic converter
so you have to check the label. In general if you have a car you use
at least semi-regularly you do not need a fuel system/injector
cleaner. I do suggest that if the car is to be stored (like over the
winter) you remove the fuel. I suggest it for 2 main reasons. On too
many cars I have seen winter storage turn into long-term (multi year)
storage and the fuel rots the parts internaly. The other big reason is
that when you do take the car out of storage it is started with fresh
gas so it will start and run better. Gasoline is blended for the
seasons. You do not want to use gas blended for winter in the summer
if you can help it. These "Mechanic-in-a Bottle" products are usually
not worth the money spent. All the large automakers do not recomend
nor do they require their use. Same goes for the oil additives and
coolant additives. These additives are generally purchesed by people
that do not have any automotive knowledge and think they are giving
their cars a "treat". BTW I don't like fuel stabalizers either. Think
about it, they are supposed to make the fuel less volitile, ie, more
stable, but to do it makes it less like gasoline. I say save your
money and just take the fuel out. It doesn't go to waste, you can use
the gas up in another car and buy fresh gas when you take the car out
of storage (and it is even more expensive!).
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757