Re: [DML] intake manifold

When Jeff advocates "taping up" all your old wiring in the engine
compartment, I don't think he does so to make room for NEW wiring...

Truth be told, a ready to use manifold is all that's been missing for
backyard tinkerers and experimenters. It will be interesting to see
what people come up with. I'm sure someone will eventually bolt a
throttle body onto one. Jeff recommends a carburetor from the racing
catalogs, which basically means "Holley" (run away, run away), but
that's the beauty of an open platform like this -- each person is free
to experiment however he or she wishes (if you buy a Holley, don't
come crying on my shoulder later....)

Speaking of open platforms, be aware that this is a VERY open plenum
design with absolutely no pretense of intake runners. Compare to mine
in #5939's photo album (which does have intake runners but uses a
common plenum itself). I'd anticipate best performance in the upper
RPM's. People give me a hard time about driving too fast, but part of
the problem is my engine simply isn't as happy sucking air below 2,000
RPM as it is above. For all my past ranting & raving about "buzzy
little engines", I've managed to build one for myself! But don't let
it ever be said that a low compression PRV can not quickly and easily
accelerate 2,800 lbs to 6,000 RPM, even with our fuel economy
transmissions (truth be told I can only do that in 1st & 2nd gears.
things start to fall apart in 3rd).

Which brings up a good point: I don't know if a stock ignition coil is
really up to high RPM's. Even though my Pertronix is still canister
style, it does recharge about 50% faster. I am running about 12v into
it (only one resistor), but Pertronix claims even that isn't
necessary. You could switch to capacitive ignition, but I've read just
as many arguments that a single duration spark, even at reduced
voltage (40,000 volt rating is taken at low RPM) actually has a better
chance of igniting the mixture at those speeds.

I can vouch that 7mm wires, even Bougicord, are not compatible with
high voltage ignition in the long term. If you're going to buy a new
coil, but some 8mm wires to go with it.

That's one nice thing about Jeff's new manifold -- changing a set of
plug wires around it takes less than 5 minutes!

Bill Robertson