[DML] Re: What kind of lubricant should be used on door latches?

[DML] Re: What kind of lubricant should be used on door latches?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.  I bought some white lithium
greas this morning and will try that out.

Paul

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxx>
wrote:
> I have heard of Kroil. I have even used it. I remember it as a very
> sticky, black oil. Not what you would want to use on the anchor
pins.
> For door and hood latches and anchor pins I use a product that
looks
> like a giant lipstick. It is very waxy and clear and won't soil
> clothing. I don't have the name of it handy but I'am sure if you
go to
> any large auto store they will have it or something similar. You do
> not want to use anything too oily, it will attract and hold dirt.
> Eventually it will get so messy with dirt it will accelerate the
wear
> you are trying to avoid by lubricating! Give the latch mechanisms a
> short shot of WD-40 and a small smear of the waxy lubricant on the
> anchor pins. Of course you should wipe off any old dirt, grease,
oil
> before lubricating. Don't go crazy with the lubricant. More is not
> better, just messy. If things are not working smoothly and in need
of
> adjustment, lubricating is not going to make it much better. If
> everything is properly adjusted you hardly need much lubrication
> anyway. Put a drop of light machine oil on the hinges. They should
not
> squeak. I also use a light wipe of silicon on the door seal. Spray
it
> onto a paper towel and then wipe the edge of the seal all around
the
> door. it will make the seal last longer and lubricate it so rubbing
> won't tear it. You can also wipe it onto the door where it touches
the
> seal too. I think the slogan for Kroil is "Don't oil it, Kroil
it". Am
> I right?
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Robert Lingo" <rlingo@xxxx> wrote:
> > Anyone ever heard of Kroil?  It's manufactured in Nashville.
> > www.kanolalabs.com  They make the best lubs and cleaners in the
> world from
> > what I can tell.  Many people I have talked to about said it's
the