[DML] Re: smoke? (Exhaust Manifold Gasket Fix)

[DML] Re: smoke? (Exhaust Manifold Gasket Fix)

The word you're looking for is "AGGRAVATING" fix. PRV manifolds are
held with hardware almost 50% smaller than traditional exhaust
manifolds. Are very easy to snap off. In fact, every fastener
throughout the whole exhaust system tends to rust solid (so much for
our "rust proof" little cars...). It's a colossal pain, but I
recommend methodically replacing them all with stainless. You only
have to do that once -- future removals will be easy.

I personally recommend splitting the nuts off and leaving the factory
studs in place. Risk of snapping them is too great. 7mm stainless nuts
are still available from Fastenal (I think John Hervey sells them
too). Use a die to clean the threads up.

Don't know about DeLo PRV's, but my replacement engine came with a
bolt holding the dipstick tube/exhaust manifold. I did replace it with
a long carbon stud/stainless nut & washer like all the others (simply
cut the head off an extra long 7mm).

There is one bright spot -- because the muffler is stainless, it won't
be rusted to the catalytic converter (guillotine clamp will probably
snap, but they're only $2 at any parts house. $6-10 for stainless.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, stefan diklich <stefandmc@xxxx> wrote:
> IF its the exhasut gasket blown is that an expensive fix or will the
exhaust manifld gaskets fit it? Is the car still driveable?