[DML] Re: Crossing the USA / Canada border

[DML] Re: Crossing the USA / Canada border

Hi Guys. I am going to GrandBend and I am also a former Customs
Inspector (12 years) for Canada Customs (I am involved in installing
their computer systems now).

Anyway - to enter Canada (and get back to the US) you need proof of
citizenship (or legal residence). There are only a few documents that
can prove citizenship - passport, immigration documents like a
certificate of naturalization, green card (Alien registration card),
FAA pilots license, etc. A drivers license is only proof that you
passed a driving test. Other documents like a SS card or Voters
registration card are not considered proof as they are not
manufactured with security in mind.

Speaking from experience, Canada is slightly more lenient on
documentation then the US is. If you have any concerns contact your
local Immigration office about what is required to return and you
will have a better idea of what is required to enter Canada too.

Having said that - I live in Niagara Falls and there are literally
millions of visitors that cross the borders here each year. Most of
the concern Canadian officials have is if you have the documentation
to re-enter the US at the end of your visit. Unless you show up with
a moving truck with all your worldly belongings in it, your in as far
as the immigration part goes. Feel free to bring a bottle or a case
of beer (I think ours is better anyway!), but be prepared to declare
anything that you intend on leaving here. Weapons (particularly
firearms) are strictly regulated so leave those at home if you are so
inclined.

I will be leaving early on Saturday morning. If anyone has questions
about crossing the border feel free to give me a call at (905) 374
7789.

Mike Walsh
#17084