Re: [DML] DOA and Re: DMCH 2005 Open House

Re: [DML] DOA and Re: DMCH 2005 Open House

When I bought my car a year ago, I received a stack of DeLorean World
back issues with it. They were great, so the first thing I did was
send $70 some odd bucks to the DOA. Yeah, that's spendy for 4
magazines, but, whatever. I'm supporting something good, right?

The magazines I received were, well, how do I put this... They were
different. Not quite what I expected. Now, don't get me wrong. The
naked woman on the cover of the last issue was beautiful, but that's
not quite what I was looking for in a DeLorean magazine. The DOA seems
to think being a DeLorean owner means being a wealthy, "high class"
type. Maybe that's Ed's life, but I don't think the vast majority of
us share it. I don't know about you folks, but I don't own a
Gulfstream, I don't take sexy models skinny dipping in public rivers
in my car (or otherwise), and I don't spend all of my time traveling
because I have a job like the rest of us.

I mean, the whole idea is ridiculous. This isn't a lamborghini club
with a $200k entry fee. For about the price of a cheap sedan, anyone
can officially enter our world. Even a "brand new" DeLorean from DMCH
is less than most people pay for their SUVs and about the price of a
nice minivan or pickup. Yeah, everyone thinks you're filthy rich when
you're driving this car, but that doesn't make it so. DW magazine
simply furthers the delusion, catering to people with a lifestyle very
few (if any) of us live. The magazine's style and manner in which the
club is run is silly given it's audience. Coming out and saying so
isn't "classless"; unless, of course, you fancy yourself one of the
wealthy, "high class" types.

With Ed stepping down, perhaps the DOA will be turned around. If so,
I'll think about joining again. But for now, my membership has expired
effective this month and I'm not renewing until I actually see some
changes. $70 isn't a lot of money, but neither is it pocket change and
I'm not going to throw it away so I can pretend to be someone I'm not
the four times a year my magazine arrives. (Besides that, if I wanted
soft porn I'd subscribe to Playboy or one of those import racing
magazines)

-Ryan