[DML] Installing window glass?

I'm new to the forum here, and relatively new to ownership. I
purchased vin 10902 this spring - it was in bad shape - sat for 12
years without running. I've been working through the mechanical issues,
have the fuel system reworked, the car is running well (and driving but
don't tell the local sheriff) and may be officially on the road soon.

Before I can park it anywhere but the garage I'm going to have to
put all new glass in the Drivers Door. I have all the parts ready to
go, but one dilemma.

I've considered mounting the lower glass channel guide to the upper
glass before installing said upper glass, to make sure the glass
ends up in exactly the right spot within the door opening. It looks
me like the glass can move about 3/8" of an inch fore/aft and
up/down inside the tabs on the door, so I wanted to nail it. When
dry fitting the parts together though I've hit some snags.

The rubber seal for the top of the channel fits nicely along the
bottom of the fixed glass, but once its on the glass I can't insert
the seal properly into the aluminum channel, even with more than
moderate
coaxing. Similarly, the rubber seal will also fit nicely into the
channel
itself, but I can't get the glass inserted into it once its already
inside the channel. I can get any two pieces together, but not all 3.

I've been told to install the fixed glass and just center it up
between the tabs, and then coerce the frame onto the bottom, but
that's just a little scary. What am I missing here?

I presume that I want to get the top glass and channel in first
before installing the dropping glass.  A newbie search of the posts
didn't really address this for me. Any
help (with url links if applicable) would surely be appreciated.
I'm hoping not to have to buy a second fixed door glass.

Tom
Vin #10902
(Former Technical Director for the BTTF Rides in Hollywood and FL)