[DML] Re: Where do I find demineralized water for cooling system?

[DML] Re: Where do I find demineralized water for cooling system?

There is de-ionized water, distilled water, demineralized water, hard
water, soft water, and on, and on. I learned that distilled water is
not good as is hard water. Distilled water will want to dissolve the
metal parts and hard water will settle out minerals, kind of like
opposite ends of a spectrum. Getting into the chemistry of water is a
subject all by itself. The short answer is you should go with soft
water but not soft water that was made by adding sodium ions as in a
water softener. If the water in your local area is known to be hard
the "best" alternative is to use bottled drinking water or pre-mixed
anti-freeze. Here in the East the water is generally soft but in some
areas with well water the water can be hard. In the south and
southwest the water can get very hard. The guy at the local radiator
shop can show you what the insides of the radiators look like from the
local water and tell you what you should use.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

-- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "M. P. Olans" <mpolans@xxxx> wrote:
> David,
>      What do you say NOT to use distilled water?
>
> Matt
> VIN 16816

[moderator snip]