[DML] Re: undercoating

CLEANING the undercoating? You obviously have more spare time than I.

I own 5 Lincoln Mark V's. 4 of them came from the Northeast. 2 of them
were undercoated with that black mess people use up there. Both of the
undercoated cars suffered more road salt damage than the cars that
were left without it:
- Rusted through brake lines
- Fender and quarter panel damage
- Totally unremovable bolts

My feeling is undercoating causes more problems than it solves. It's a
nice theory, but in reality it actually traps the road salt that
innevitably finds its way underneath, leaving it no way out except
through the metal.

Ordinarily, rust on major suspension components such as frames,
control & support arms, springs, etc isn't a concern. They are usually
made of very high carbon steel (or at least they used to be) and rust
doesn't penetrate any further than the surface. DMC of course decided
to make these components of low carbon steel (even the springs aren't
hitting on much -- I cut mine down with a Dremel tool) so rust IS a
concern. Impervious body sitting on a very susceptible frame &
suspension -- go figure.

BTW: If you think road salt is damaging, you should see the effects of
beach salt. I absolutely refuse to buy a car from the coast or Florida.

Bill Robertson

-->