[DML] Re: Insurance?

You are confusing different kinds of insurance. You are putting
insurance on the car. If another person other than yourself or someone
in your household drives the car they can have their own insurance but
it is not for liability or property damage for you. It is for them as
a non-owner driver. Kind of like when you rent a car. Call Hagerty or
one of the other insurers and they will educate you for free. Bottom
line is if the policy has a mileage limit, unless you have made prior,
special arrangements, you are at your own risk if you violate any of
the policy terms or conditions. As an example, you want to drive
cross-country. You will be putting 3,000 miles on the car in 1 trip.
You are limited to 2,500 per year. You can make special arrangements
(AND PAY EXTRA) to add 3,000 mile for that trip. Now, in that year,
you can accumulate as much as 5,500 and still have full coverage.
There are times that owners of classic cars knowingly violate the
insurance policy at their own risk. In the Jaguar club and the Lotus
club they regularly race and slalom. From the time the car enters the
paddock till it is off the track anything that happens in on the
owner's nickel.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757