Re: [DML] Long term storage

Josh

The most important things are to store the car where it will stay
warm and dry and to prepare it for long-term storage.  Change
the oil and filter, put in fresh coolant, brake fluid (clutch and
brakes), remove the battery, drain the fuel system.  Remove the
spark plugs and squirt in a good amount of motor oil into the cylinders
and replace the plugs.  Put some dessicant in the interior to keep it
dry and prevent mold and mildew.  Clean everything you can.  Wax
the fascias, treat the leather with a good treatment (Leatherique, Zymol,
Lexol) and weatherstripping with a good silicone cleaner.  When you
park the car, try to keep it away from things that could fall on it, and if
possible, away from places where people will want to set things on it.
You'd be surprised how many little scratches, dings, etc. will accumulate
from stuff just sitting on the car.  A car cover helps with scratches
from walking along side the car and keeps the dust off, but it is not
good protection for piles of stuff.

When you recommission the car, change out all the fluids again.  You
should plan on replacing the tires, lift cylinders, and battery.  You will
also need to spend some quality time with the electrical system.  Go
slow, one system at a time.  Make sure your safety systems work,
like lights, turn signals, and brakes before you try moving the car.
Squirt some oil in the cylinders and let it sit a bit before cranking it over
without the spark plugs installed.  This will give the lightest load on
the starter and get some oil pressure built up before actually
starting the car.

--
Mike

-------------- Original message from "Josh Porter" <joshp1986@xxxxxxxxx>: --------------