Re: [DML] BAE Turbo Availability

A person who I would consider an authority on the power handling
capabilites of the Delorean, Fred Dellis, said it very simply. He said
they could get all the power they wanted out of the PRV, the weak link
was the transmission. Long range plans were to dump the Renault trans.
It was too weak and the French were too hard to deal with. Any serious
upgrade must consist of using a different transmission. Over 200 HP
and you will be repairing trans too often. Of course if you drive
crazy and dump the clutch all the time you can abuse the car without
adding horsepower and will be damaging the drivetrain with the stock
set-up. Increasing the HP just makes everything happen faster. The
Island Turbo seems to be a reasonable compromise with a modest
increase in HP while still keeping most of the car stock. I guess the
same goes for the BAE as long as you keep the boost below 6#. BTW
dumping the clutch on a turbo car is EXACTLY the same effect as
dumping on a stock PRV. The turbos don't kick in till you have the
revs up over 2,500 or so. I don't recomend popping the clutch in 1st
gear. One of the first signs is a broken trans mount on the front left
side. If you want to do burn-outs get a lock valve for the front
wheels. It is a whole lot easier on the car, just not the tires.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757