As always, thanks for all the replies and advice. After rechecking everything a few times it turns out that one of the wires had just slightly broken from the connector and after fixing that all is well. Interestingly enough, now not only can I run my a/c blower motor on speeds 3 and 4 seemingly forever without it overheating or whatever and shutting down, my quirky hard cold start is also gone. I used to have to do a full depression, hold, release trick with the gas pedal while cranking to get it to start, and it'd take 4-5 seconds, now I don't have to do that trick and it starts in 1-2 seconds. I was not aware that the fan speed circuit breaker was part of the starter circuit. Learn something new everyday. Thanks again for the help!

Also I just found out I'll be moving probably within a few weeks to Meridian, MS. Any active owners around there?

Dave

Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Early cars had a recall to re-wire the relay that powers the starter
solenoid and the connection is sent to the fan speed circuit breaker.
Later cars had this as standard. You need to check that connection - if
you read up these instructions, you should be able to find the relay and
trace that wire

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/starterfix.html

With this connection off, you'll get the symptoms you describe. The fuel
pump should not switch on until the engine actually cranks.

Martin