[DML] Re: Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud NIGHTMARE! Please Help ...

[DML] Re: Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud NIGHTMARE! Please Help ...

It's a bit late now, but I advocate leaving the original studs in
place. Threads can be cleaned up with a die for replacement stainless
nuts. 7mm studs are very small to attempt removing against
electrolysis. It's not uncommon to snap 3/8" exhaust fasteners (even
in cast iron heads!) and they're more than 33% thicker.

I was so concerned about snapping mine on one side (Renault block)
that I didn't even attempt to remove the nuts -- just split them off.
Other side did have 5 of 6 nuts & studs removed by heating them cherry
red w/ acetylene, but even that much heat couldn't budge the sixth one.

Back to your situation -- first ensure that you indeed need to re-use
those same stud holes. PRV's have 4 holes per exhaust port. Depending
on your new system, perhaps the alternative holes can be used.

Otherwise, it's going to be nearly impossible to drill straight
through the broken studs with the crossmember in the way (it's very
difficult to drill straight through fasteners even when you have clear
line of sight). I'm afraid you're going to need to remove the head (be
careful not to wiggle the cylinders) or pull the engine/transmission.

Be sure to use as many stainless fasteners as possible on your new
system to avoid future problems (stainless nuts on carbon studs are OK).

Bill Robertson